My career in education began fourteen years ago as a Mathematics teacher at South Pasadena High School. Over the course of my educational career, I have taught Mathematics at the high school and college levels, supervised in-service mathematics teachers, conducted educational research in various settings and attained a Ph.D. in Education from UCLA. Throughout my career I have been a strong proponent of public education.
I am a qualified candidate for the South Pasadena Unified School District School Board because of my extensive educational experience in and out of the classroom. I have worked with many amazing educators throughout my career and I’ve seen what good teaching looks like within K-12 as well as the university levels. I have worked with teachers, parents and administrators and have learned how to build a supportive, effective and successful educational environment. I understand the foundations of a good education for our students, and I know how to prioritize our funding for the best educational results.
I believe that it is important to have individuals on our school board who have extensive experience in the field of education.
* Fourteen years of experience in education as a teacher, teacher supervisor, professor, researcher and education advocate.
* A Ph.D. in Education from UCLA.
* B.A. in Mathematics and an M.A. in Teaching Mathematics from Occidental College.
* Successful small business owner: Provided organic produce subscription service for 1000+ families.
* Served on governing boards for community organizations.
WHEN ELECTED I WILL ADVOCATE FOR:
* All of our students’ needs regardless of their strengths and challenges.
* Collaboration and communication between parents, teachers, students, administrators and the school board.
* Small class sizes in all of K-12.
* Rigorous and challenging academic classes to give our students a competitive edge for prestigious colleges.
* The education of the whole child through supporting dual language immersion, arts, theater, athletics and other programs that will enable our students to develop creatively, socially, emotionally, linguistically and physically.
* Investment in research based educational technologies.
* Environmental sustainability in our buildings.
* The fight against the 710 Freeway Expansion because it would negatively impact the health of our students.
* Fiscal responsibility without compromising the quality of education.
For all of these reasons I ask for your vote and I look forward to working with you!